Fresh Strawberry Pie
For the crust
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten and combined with 1/2 teaspoon fine sugar or granulated sugar for brushing on top before baking
For the strawberry filling
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I keep a ginger root in the freezer and grate it as needed- it lasts forever! You can substitute a 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.)
- To make “buttermilk” place lemon juice or vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and add cold milk to equal 1/2 cup. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes as you start on the next step.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Work butter into the flour mixture with your hands; large pieces of butter will remain. Add the “buttermilk” from step 1. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Divide the dough in half and gently knead into two disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap or place in ziplock bags and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Come back 1 hour later to work on the filling. In a medium bowl,toss together strawberries, sugars, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice and fresh ginger. You don’t want to see any cornstarch powder when you are finished tossing. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. The strawberries will begin to produce juice.
- While the strawberries are standing, roll the bottom crust 1/8″ thick and about 12″ in diameter on a well-floured surface. Place the circular crust in a pretty 9″ pie plate and trim the edge to about 1/8″ past the edge of the plate.
- Spoon strawberry filling into your pie crust.
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees F (204 C) with the rack in the center.
- Roll out the top crust in the same manner. Cut the crust into 3/4″ wide strips and weave the crust strips on top of the pie. How to weave a lattice crust linked here.
- Brush the lattice strips with the beaten egg/sugar mixture (1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon fine sugar)
- Place your pie on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 350°F (177 C) and bake the pie for 30-35 minutes more, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling but does not appear too liquidy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
This recipe was adapted by The PIE Fighter from a recipe on Joy the Baker